Saturday, November 17, 2012

Injinji Merino Sock Review

Today we will be reviewing the Outdoor Series Sock from Injinji.

Technical:

This sock is a premium Australian Merino Wool, trademarked as NuWool.  This is their Original Weight offering in Forest Green.  It is constructed of 70% nuwool, 25% nylon, and 5% lycra Fibers.  This allows for better temperature control, dryness, and comfort.  They also have the companies patented AIS Technology, Which includes an anatomical 5 toe design, Arch Support, Vector Heel, and Dual Welt Band.  The sock is all season performance in any footwear, in any terrain.  The breakdown is as follows:

1. Anatomical 5 Toe Design: Keeps toes dry and prevents blisters and hotspots.  Properly aligns toes for more natural movement.

2. Arch Support: Provides mid-foot stability and eliminates bunching.

3. Vector Heel: Precision stitched heel for custom fit, prevents slipping.

4. Dual Welt Band: Specially constructed band ensures socks stay in place.

Sock is naturally moisture wicking.  Sock tested was crew length.  Sock is offered in mini-crew, quarter, crew, and over the calf length.

Impressions:

The socks feel very well constructed.  Very soft and itch free as expected from premium merino wool.  The nylon and lycra give the sock just enough stretch to hold your foot snugly, but not so snug as to interfere with circulation.  There is a dedicated left and right foot, and a dedicated heel box, so there is no way to put the sock on improperly.


Preformed Heel (taken outside very sunny!)
Preformed Toes (taken outside very sunny!)


Putting on this sock is not like just dragging on a regular sock.  It takes a bit of wiggling your piggies as you need to fit your toes one by one into their own spot first, then snug up the toes, finally pulling into the heel and on to full fit.  (My daughter calls them sleeping bags for your toes!)  The socks fit snugly.

There is a bit of getting used to if you have never worn toe socks before. (I had not)  It did feel very different having your toes surrounded like that, and I had the constant urge to pick the fabric from between my toes, but it subsides quickly.  The thing I noticed nearly immediately about the sock was that as stated it did not move around once it was on.  No matter how much wiggling or squirming I did, they stayed in place, and they stayed up.  I suppose you could make them move if you were determined to, but that was not the purpose of the test.  I wore them in several different types of footwear, in several different conditions.  The thing I noticed is that they did not slide around in my boots, and I did not get blisters on my heel or the sides of my foot.  (I had purposely worn boots that were not broken in and caused blisters previously)  I think this is where the sock really started to grow on me.  I can't stand when a sock moves around and bunches up, no matter how warm they are.  If you have to keep taking your boots off to fix your sock it kinda defeats the purpose.  I never had to do that with these socks.

The urge to pick at the toes went away fairly quickly, and by the second day of wear I don't remember noticing it anymore.  The sock was as warm as I expected.  I even wore them to bed.  They dried by the fire very quickly, and kept my feet warm when I got them wet.  Overall, it was a good experience, and a good sock.  Well made, and I would recommend giving them a try if they sound interesting to you.  They are around $16.00 USD for the pair I tested, so they do not break the bank either.

On a side note, customer service was excellent, and the socks arrived very quickly.  The folks at Injinji take their product and it's quality very seriously, and that is a good thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment